Ventura County Fairgrounds



The first Ventura County Fair took place in 1874 at the end of the local San Miguel Days harvest festival with attractions that included cockfighting, bullfighting and horse racing, as well as nightly balls. From 1877 it was held at Pierpont Bluffs, until 1891 when it was moved to Port Hueneme. The Seaside Park property that includes the Ventura County Fairgrounds was donated to the county in 1909 by E. P. Foster, and the fair began to be held there from 1914.

The fair was formerly held at the beginning of October, reflecting its focus on agriculture. In 1987 the event was moved to August in an effort to boost attendance by taking advantage of better weather.

The fair attracts more than 300,000 visitors each year. The County Fair parade is held on the nearby Main Street each year near the opening day.

Ventura County Fairgrounds